Injury Prevention Program
As leaders in pediatric trauma care, we want to prevent injuries from happening in the first place. Our Injury Prevention Program provides community education, equipment and resources to help reduce the number and severity of injuries that may occur.
Our goal is to educate the public about risks for injury, and to provide equipment and resources for underserved families in the region. We teach children and families how to be safe at home, at play and on the go.
Penn State Children’s Hospital and Safe Kids Dauphin County Coalition is comprised of organizations in and around Dauphin County that are committed to improving the welfare and safety of children in our community. The members and partners of the Safe Kids Dauphin County Coalition include:
- American Trauma Society
- Baby Love, Hamilton Health Center
- Capital Area Head Start
- Childhood Lead Poisoning Prevention Program
- Hamilton Health Center
- Lower Paxton Police Department
- Maternal Assistance Program, Holy Spirit Hospital
- Milton Hershey School
- Morning Star Pregnancy Services
- Penn State Life Lion EMS
- Pennsylvania Department of Health
- REDDCO Inc.
- Safe Kids Pennsylvania Coalition
- South Central Pennsylvania Highway Safety
- Sutliff Autogroup
- Women, Infants, and Children
- YWCA of Greater Harrisburg
Coalition mission and goals
The mission of Penn State Injury Prevention Program and the Safe Kids Dauphin County Coalition is to promote the prevention of childhood injuries through education, networking and advocacy.
Our goals are to:
- Work with community partners to reduce the risk of injury to children in central Pennsylvania
- Educate parents and caregivers to provide a safe environment for children
- Increase community awareness that injuries can be prevented
- Work for changes in laws, policies and products to decrease causes of injuries
The work of the Penn State Pediatric Injury Prevention Program is funded by two non-profit organizations:
Donations from the Dauphin County community help us provide child restraints to local low-income families who otherwise might not travel safely in a car. Please consider making a donation to help us continue our important work.
Make checks payable to: PSU/Injury Prevention Program
Donations may be sent directly to:
Penn State Pediatric Injury Prevention Program
600 University Drive, H113
P.O. Box 850
Hershey, PA 17033
Schedule an educational safety event for your school or community event. We can do presentations on a variety of safety and injury prevention topics.
For more information, call the Penn State Children’s Hospital Pediatric Injury Prevention Program at 717-531-SAFE (7233).
Cribs for Kids Program
Penn State Children's Hospital Pediatric Injury Prevention Program is a Cribs for Kids site. This program educates parents and caregivers about safe sleep practices and ensures that babies have a safe place to sleep.
For more education and information about safe sleep, please visit the National Institutes of Health Back to Sleep website.
Bike and Sports Safety
A bike helmet is an essential part of bike riding and should be worn every time you ride your bike.
Other bike and sports safety tips:
Teen Driver Program
The Teen Driver Program is for drivers ages 16-19 who have had a traffic violation and have been referred to the program by the District Justice. The 4-hour class provides:
- An overview of biomechanics
- Risk factors and common injuries associated with vehicle crashes
- A hands-on look at the medical care and aftermath following a serious collision
The $50 course fee must be paid before starting the program. Sign up for the next available class: 717-531-3885.
Safe Sitter Program
The Safe Sitter Program teaches 12-15 year-olds the essential skills for safe and successful babysitting. Each student will learn:
- What to do if a child chokes
- How to call for emergency help
- Babysitting business skills
- Basic childcare skills
- Safety for the sitter
- How to entertain children and keep them safe
The one-day Safe Sitter course is offered periodically according to interest. For registration fee pricing, please contact us.
We typically hold 2-3 classes per year. For more information, or to sign up for the next class, contact the Injury Prevention Program at 717-531-SAFE (7233).
General injury prevention
- Safe Kids Worldwide
- PaNOYS (Pennsylvania National Organizations for Youth Safety)
- American Academy of Pediatrics
- ThinkFirst Foundation
- Centers for Disease Control and Prevention
- National Safety Council
Motor vehicle and child passenger safety
- Kids and Cars, Love Them - Protect Them
- National Highway Traffic Safety Administration
- Safe Kids USA: Safety In and Around Cars
Water and boating safety
- American Association of Poison Control
- The Battery Controlled
- Safe Kids USA: Poison Safe