Research and Clinical Trials
Research and Clinical Trials
For additional resources visit The National Center on Shaken Baby Syndrome.
- Kesler H, Dias MS, Shaffer M, Rottmund C, Cappos K, Thomas NJ. Demographics of abusive head trauma in the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania. J Neurosurg Pediatrics. 2008 May;1(5):351-6
- Dias MS, Smith K, deGuehery K, Mazur P, Li V and Shaffer M. Preventing Abusive Head Trauma Among Infants and Young Children: A Hospital-Based, Parent Education Program. PEDIATRICS April 2005;115;4:e470-e477
- Caffey J. On the theory and practice of shaking infants. Am J Dis Child. 1972;124:161-169.
- Caffey J. The whiplash-shaken infant syndrome: manual shaking by the extremities with whiplash-induced intracranial and intraocular bleeding. Pediatrics. 1974;34:396-403.
- Duhaime AC, Gennarelli TA, Thibault LE, Bruce DA, Margulies SS, Wiser R. The shaken baby syndrome: A clinical, pathological, and biomechanical study. J Neurosurg. 1987;66:409-415.
- Dias MS, Backstrom J, Falk M, Li V. Serial radiography in the infant shaken impact syndrome. Pediatr Neurosurg. 1998;29:77-85.
- Hadley MN, Sonntag VKH, Rekate HL, Murphy A. The infant whiplash-shake injury syndrome. A clinical and pathological study. Neurosurgery. 1989;24:536-540.
- Starling SP, Holden JR, Jenny C. Abusive head trauma: the relationship of perpetrators to their victims. Pediatrics. 1995;95:259-262.
- Zimmerman RA, Bilaniuk LT, Bruce D, Schut L, Uzzell B, Goldberg HI. Computed tomography of craniocerebral injury in the abused child. Radiology. 1979;130:687-690.
- Sinal SH, Ball MR. Head trauma due to child abuse: Serial computerized tomography in diagnosis and management. South Med J. 1987;80:1505-1512.
- Ludwig S, Warman M. Shaken baby syndrome. A review of 20 cases. Ann Emerg Med. 1984;13:104-107.
- American Academy of Pediatrics Committee on Child Abuse and Neglect. Shaken baby syndrome: Inflicted cerebral trauma. Pediatrics. 1993;92:872-875.
- New York State Department of Health Bureau of Injury Prevention. Shaken Baby Syndrome. http://www.health.state.ny.us/nysdoh/consumer/sbs/sbs_eng.htm
- Showers J. Executive Summary, Proceedings from the Second National Conference on Shaken Baby Syndrome, 1998; Salt Lake City, Utah.
- Don't Shake the Baby, Educational Manual. Groveport, Ohio: Ohio Research Institute on Child Abuse Prevention; 1991.
- Showers J. Behavior management cards as a method of anticipatory guidance for parents. Child Care Health Develop. 1989;15:401-415.
- Showers J. Child behavior management cards: prevention tools for teens. Child Abuse Negl. 1990;15:313-316.
- Showers J, Johnson C. Students' knowledge of child health and development: Effects on approaches to discipline. J Sch Health. 1984;54:122-125.
- Showers J, Johnson C. Child development, child health and child rearing knowledge among urban adolescents. Are they adequately prepared for the challenges of parenthood? Health Ed. 1985;16:37-41.
- Showers J. Shaken baby syndrome: The problem and a model for prevention. Children Today. 1992;21:34-37.
- American Academy of Pediatrics Committee on Child Abuse and Neglect. Shaken Baby Syndrome: Rotational cranial injuries - Technical report. Pediatrics. 2001;108:206-210.
- Dubowitz H. Prevention of child maltreatment: what is known. Pediatrics. 1989;83:570-577.
- Olds D, Henderson, C.R., Chamberlin R, Tatelbaum R. Preventing child abuse and neglect: a randomized trial of nurse home visitation. Pediatrics. 1986;78:65-78.
- Olds D, Eckenrode J, Henderson CR, et al. Long-term effects of home visitation on maternal life course and child abuse and neglect: 15 year follow-up of a randomized trial. J Am Med Assoc. 1997;278:637-643.
- Swenson J, Levitt C. Shaken baby syndrome: diagnosis and prevention. Minnesota Medicine. 1997;80:41-44.
- Hicks RA. Prevention of Shaken Baby Syndrome. SCAN, Newsletter of the Section on Child Abuse and Neglect of the American Academy of Pediatrics. Vol 12; 2000:2.
- Showers J. "Don't shake the baby": The effectiveness of a prevention program. Child Abuse Negl. 1992;16:11-18.
Penn State Children's Hospital
600 University Drive, Mail Code G130
Hershey, PA 17033
Pennsylvania Nurse Coordinator
For more information, to schedule a training session, or to receive our quarterly newsletter please contact the Pennsylvania Shaken Baby Syndrome Education Project office at 717-531-7498.