What is music therapy?
- Rhythm sticks
Music therapists are part of the medical team and work collaboratively with doctors and nurses to complement the care they provide. We assess patients each time we work with them so that we can tailor sessions to their needs. We address the following areas:
- Pain, anxiety, nausea, sleepless
- Emotional coping and adjustment
- Functional rehabilitation and developmental activities
- Limited meaningful leisure
- Family coping during end-of-life care
Our music therapists work with a variety of cultural and faith backgrounds, using music to help families stay connected to their heritage and traditions. We also have experience with non-English-speaking and non-verbal children who enjoy using music as a common language of communication. If you’d like your child to participate in music therapy at the Children’s Hospital, please speak with your doctor or nurse.