Heart care for children
Penn State Children’s Heart Group has provided compassionate, expert heart care to young patients throughout central Pennsylvania for more than 25 years.
Our expert team includes:
- Board-certified pediatric cardiologists (specially trained heart doctors for kids)
- Pediatric cardiothoracic surgeons (chest, heart and lung surgeons)
- Cardiac intensivists (intensive care heart doctors)
- Physician assistants (medical professionals who work under the supervision of a doctor)
In addition, we have doctors who specialize in:
- Pediatric weight management (helping kids maintain a healthy weight)
- Post-operative cardiac neurodevelopment (learning disabilities and behavior problems that affect kids who’ve had heart surgery)
- Cardiac genetics (understanding your family tree and heart disease)
What we treat
Our team works together to provide the full range of heart care, including:
- Testing and diagnosis
- Managing your baby’s heart problems during pregnancy
- Treating heart disease, both congenital (present from birth) and acquired (developed later)
- Transitioning older children with congenital heart disease to adult care
In addition, since 2015, the Children’s Hospital’s cardiology team has used 3D printing to create heart models for the most complex patients prior to surgery to help improve their understanding of the patient’s anatomy and make decisions about surgical approaches.
Conditions we treat include:
- Structural defects of the heart (congenital heart disease)
- Kawasaki’s disease
- Heart rhythm disorders
- Hypertension (high blood pressure)
- Evaluation for murmurs, chest pain, syncope, etc.
Our team is dedicated to diagnosing and treating children of all ages - from infants to young adults. We offer care in both inpatient (inside the hospital) and outpatient (outside the hospital) settings. Learn more about our services.