Anesthesia - Professional Education
Anesthesia - Professional Education
Become a Pediatric Anesthesiology Fellow
- Our goal is to be pediatric patient and trainee advocates to achieve excellence in education, patient safety, and excellent patient care.
- We strive to inspire excellence, innovation, and dedication in the field of pediatric anesthesiology.
- We will become a model pediatric anesthesiology fellowship program, training fellows who are capable of independent subspecialty consultant-level care, and who are able to become leaders in academic and private pediatric anesthesiology.
Train our fellows to become consultant-level practitioners in pediatric anesthesiology capable of excellent independent practice.
- Teach skills, knowledge, and practices that foster excellent performance in the clinical and academic arenas.
- Inspire excellence, innovation, and dedication to the field of pediatric anesthesiology.
- Maintain outstanding levels of collegiality, professionalism, and teamwork.
- Emphasize the institution’s core values: Respect, Integrity, Teamwork, and Excellence.
Train at Penn State Children’s Hospital
Penn State Children's Hospital offers:
- Large pediatric referral center (over 1 million kids in our referral area)
- Freestanding children's hospital facility, opened in 2013
- 151 total beds
- PICU (18 beds)
- NICU (42 beds)
- Intermediate Care Unit (18 beds)
- 160,000 outpatient visits yearly
- Over 12,000 pediatric anesthetics yearly
- Level 1 Trauma center for Pediatrics
Train in beautiful Hershey, Pennsylvania
Enjoy the special experience of training at a major academic medical center in the lovely, small-town setting of Hershey, Pennsylvania.
- 15 minutes from Harrisburg International Airport
- 15 minutes from an Amtrak Station (Middletown)
- 10 minutes from Hershey Park
- 1 hour and 45 minutes from Philadelphia
- 1 hour and 30 minutes from Baltimore
Former Pediatric Anesthesiology Fellows
Fellows who have graduated from our program have taken positions at numerous high-quality hospitals, including well-respected children’s hospitals and private facilities.
- Successfully complete an ACGME-accredited anesthesiology residency
- Successfully passed the American Board of Anesthesiology Basic Exam during residency training
- Qualified to register for the American Board of Anesthesiology Advanced and Applied certification process
- Successfully complete USMLE 1, 2 and 3
- Have current certification in ACLS and strongly encouraged to have current certification in PALS.
The following documents should be submitted to our Program Coordinator:
- Provide your current curriculum vitae
- Current ISTE scores
- ABA basic exam results
Qualified candidates must be:
- US citizen, permanent resident or J-1 visa holder (no additional visa types are sponsored)
- Board-eligible or board – certified in Anesthesiology
- Pennsylvania medical training license eligible
The interview process
- We review a qualified candidate’s completed written application.
- After that, we may invite the candidate for a day of formal interviews and tours with the program director, a current pediatric anesthesiology fellow, and pediatric anesthesiology faculty.
- This gives us a chance to evaluate the candidate in person.
- It also gives the candidate a chance to assess our facilities and learn about the program from:
- Our faculty
- Current residents
How to apply
We accept applications through ERAS. Learn more about the ERAS process.
Gregory Weller, MD, PhD
Pediatric Anesthesiology Fellowship Director
c/o Katelyn Kirby, Fellowship Coordinator
Penn State Health Milton S. Hershey Medical Center
Department of Anesthesiology and Perioperative Medicine
500 University Drive, H187
Hershey, PA 17033