Family Advisory Council
Family Advisory Council
Hearing feedback from patients and their families helps us create a better, family-centered patient experience.
Our Family Advisory Council, made up of patients’ family members and hospital staff, identifies areas where the hospital could improve the patient and family experience and works to implement those changes.
Become a member
We welcome family members of current and former patients.
The Family Advisory Council’s overall goal is to help the hospital embrace a culture of family-centered care. Specifically, we aim to:
- Communicate the needs of patients’ families to the hospital staff
- Promote effective partnerships between families and staff to develop creative solutions to challenges faced by the Children’s Hospital
- Encourage opportunities for other families to give feedback to the Children’s Hospital on services, programs, and policies
The Family Advisory Council addresses topics that they identify and ones that are brought to them from families, staff, and hospital administration.
Some of our past accomplishments include:
- Weekly coffee hours for families
- An information directory for families
- Feedback on quality and safety issues, marketing campaigns, food services, and patient satisfaction initiatives
- Creation of the Family Greeter Program
- Wellness initiatives
- Gift shop improvements
Our council is equally divided between family members and hospital staff. To become a member, you must meet the following requirements:
- Have a child who is receiving or has received care at Penn State Children’s Hospital
- Commit to at least one year on the Council. You can only serve three years consecutively, although you can leave and come back
- Attend monthly meetings
To join the Family Advisory Council, submit an application.
The council meets on the third Wednesday of every month.
Cubby CARE Award
Celebrating the Amazing, Respect and Excellence our patients and families receive!
In our Children's Hospital, patient and family-centered care is our culture. We believe families are an extension of the patient and a partner in their child's care.
We created an award to celebrate those staff and faculty who embody the patient and family-centered values of the Children's Hospital.
Nominations for the Cubby CARE Award are reviewed by the Family Advisory Council and winners are announced annually.
Nominees can include anyone who has a direct or indirect impact on patients and families. Nominations can be individuals or teams, anyone or any group that truly demonstrates the values of patient- and family-centered care.
How do I nominate someone or a team for the Cubby CARE Award?
It's easy! Anyone can nominate someone for the Cubby CARE Award!
You can complete and submit the form online.
Once the form is received, someone will contact you to have a more in-depth conversation about your experience with the nominee.
Children’s Miracle Network support
The Children’s Miracle Network sponsors the Family Advisory Council through stipends for council members to help with transportation costs and by providing meals and supplies for meetings.